Pages

Thursday, December 26, 2013

On my way back

     The last three weeks leading up to Christmas, I have spent at Kikongo (in The DR Congo). It has been great being with family and friends, taking a much needed break. This time of year is peanut, corn, safu (a fruit native to the Congo,) and mangosteen season, and… I have eaten my fair share of each.
      We had a typical Kikongo Christmas, with a baptism down at the river on the 24th, followed by Christmas play that evening. Yesterday, we woke up to a bright and sunny Christmas morning, and headed off to church for the Christmas service. It was only about 2 ½ hours this year.  My Dad preached a message on the of Christmas.  We had our traditional rabbit for dinner, and spent the rest of the afternoon indoors enjoying a large rain that blew up.
      Tomorrow, I begin my long journey back to CAR. If all goes according to plan, I will be back in Gamboula by the end of next Monday.
      Gamboula’s Garden of Eden supplied me with many seeds and starts that I brought to Kikongo when I came. There are a few things that Eden lacks though.  Kikongo has a few plant varieties that are higher yielding, and better quality, so I will be taking them back with me. One of these plants is Chiya, or spinach tree. Since being introduced here back in 2007, it has taken this entire region by storm, and now grows in everyone’s yards and gardens. I can’t wait to introduce it to Gamboula.