Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

The Circus is in Town

During all this fun no one was around to take a photo. I will try to get some potos and post them though. 
      Since learning to ride a unicycle, I have enjoyed seeing the amazement, surprise, and confused looks on people’s faces as I nonchalantly ride by. I have received these same looks in the States, and in Congo, but here in the Central African Republic (CAR) it is way different. The first two times I have spun my wheel in Gamboula has been very entertaining.
      A missionary in Yaoundé has been  so kind  to let me babysit his unicycle for the year he is on furlough in the States. I have been looking for an opportunity to get it to Gamboula, and finally found it when I returned from Congo.
      My first ride was a late afternoon tour down to the river and back. There were only a few people coming up from the forest as I went down.  They really had the look of disbelief on their faces, as I rode by. On my way home, I saw a motorcycle with three guys coming down the hill towards me. A short time later another one appeared, and then another.  As they slowed down to look at me, I greeted them, and instead of ignoring me, they smiled back. As soon as they passed, they turned around, and started following me slowly up the hill. I told
them about how lucky they were because not only did they have an engine, but they had two wheels, and handle bars. They got the joke, and kept following, probably to see other people’s reactions.
       As I rounded the corner to the last part of the hill that day, I saw a crowd climbing to the crest from the village. They were cheering and laughing, and trying to figure out this strange contraption. As I found out later, there were bets being placed as to whether or not I would be able to make it to the top of the hill. I greeted them as I passed, but said I could not stop to talk, because I did not have any brakes.
      When I got home, there were some 30 people of all ages waiting outside my house. They all wanted to see firsthand this strange machine. I gave them a little demonstration, and then put it away. Over the next few days, news of this one wheeled bicycle spread, and everywhere I went people who had not seen it yet were asking if it was real.
      A few days later there was a lot of tension in Gamboula as reports of more instability in the country spread. People’s thoughts were on the unknown, and their moods serious, so I thought it was time to throw something lighter into the mix by giving them something else to think about. I normally ride out to Somongue on my bike, and people don’t think anything of it, so I caught a ride out to Somongue, and rode the 5 Kilometers back on my unicycle. As I approached the village, however, many people did not even look up, or seem to notice. Then, some people started laughing and pointing, and everyone stopped what they were doing to watch.     This was the second time out on my unicycle, but since I hadn't gone through much of the village the first time, I figured I would go through the market this time. By the time I had passed through the market and reached the house, I had a crowd of little kids in tow. 
      It was fun to be able to take the stress off peoples' minds, at least for a little bit. Now, however, that the more people see the unicycle, the more they are to want to learn! I don't know if I will have the time to teach any one. I have cautioned a few people that I will not be paying for any hospital bills...