Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Photos from the week 10/19/2013

This week we set up two sets of 8 solar panels each. The power from these will go to
the new houses that are being built at the farm.

During a camping trip this week, Roy, a few others, and I went looking for what some people call swamp guppies.

This week I discovered a small native grass land shrub that we use to use as tea in Congo. There are a few of the plants around here, although since it is rare, not a lot of people know about it or drink it. It is highly sought after though. My plan is to domesticate it, and plant it in a garden. See if it can become a cash crop for this area.

The other day I was visiting work teams on the farm to give advice, answer questions, and get to know them better. As I was approaching one member I saw this adder moving quickly towards his feet. My machete was quicker than the snake could slither. That made it the second adder I have killed this week.

Storms in central Africa often come with lots of wind and dark clouds. It is all very exciting when a front movies in. I definitely set a record that day on my bike for fastest time home.
The house in the photo is one of the new houses at the farm.

Last week it was a bright red butterfly, this week I saw one that was almost all green. not as spectacular though.

Among other things we are doing out at the farm, is landscaping. Roy recently found 8 new hibiscus colors we did not have around here, so we have added them to our collection.