Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Photos from the week 8/3/2014

This week Roy and I had our first opportunity to go do a seminar at a village. Three cooperatives came together to learn about fruit trees. 

After theory, we went out in the field and planted 19 different kinds of fruit trees in one of the cooperatives fields. 

       I found the army ant nest that has been sending waves of soldiers to invade Danforths’ and my house. Roy and I dug into the nest, poured gasoline into a few of the tunnels and lit them on fire. The gas must have gotten all the way into the main chamber, because there were a few nice explosions. I went back later in the day and dug into the center of their mound, and found a huge hole about a meter deep and wide.  

Roy pouring gas down one of the army ant holes. 

Four fires going, one at each major entrance. From time to time there would be an explosion and a big puff of fire would fly out of one or more of these holes. I was unable to get a photo of that though.


It looks like it is that time of year again. Mangosteens and Rambutans.