Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Reflections from living in portland and adapting to change


     This last summer I moved from South-west Florida to North-west Oregon. The move was from one corner of the US to the other, and in many cases a study in opposites. The weather, people’s political and social views, and other physical characteristics were quite different. There were also many extremes in my personal life. All these experiences have been challenging, and I have felt the Lord using these many new and different situations to teach and bring me closer to him. 

Adapting to change
     I have always lived in rural or small town settings.  Although I have been to cities and spent bits of time in them, I have not lived in them for extended periods of time. Portland turned out to be a great city as far as most cities I have seen go, but it was a city none the less. I had to figure out how to get around within its maze of streets, buildings, and then function in that culture. I learned about public transit, and biking in the city, both of which were super easy. On top of that, the city is quite pretty, located right on the Colombia and Willamette Rivers, with hills and interesting buildings, streets and houses all around it.  
     Despite the beauty being surrounded by houses, buildings, and people for miles, I felt trapped. The many parks and green areas were nice, but small and there was always the knowledge that I was surrounded. Many things I like to do, or are in my routine I had to change as a result of being in a city. 
     I have used running as a means of escape, relaxation, and exercise for years. Running on concrete is hard on my body though, and having to cross streets every block broke up my runs too much to be enjoyable. It became more work than relaxation, and I quit running altogether. Instead, I rode my bike a lot. I enjoyed the exercise and it got me out of the house, but again was more stressful rather than enjoyable since I always had to pay attention to cars or pedestrians around me.
     So what did I learn from all this? There are so many people in the city, and many enjoy its fast and crowded life style. I experienced it, had to change my habits, and made the most of it, but have no desire to go back to a large city for any extended period of time. But, more than that, everywhere I will go will be different, and habits will have to be changed. I will have to adapt and change my life style to function in the new place, and be thankful for what God is teaching me in that situation. CAR will be rural, but present a whole different set of challenges I will have to overcome.