Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

God Created Us for Community


      I spent last year in an incredible Christian community in Florida. As an intern, I lived in intern housing with others, worked with volunteers, work teams, and other staff all day. Although I am an introvert and needed time alone, I enjoyed the year of being around lots of people, and was able to share and learn from others so much more then I would have been able to on my own. The move to Portland put me in a city surrounded by people, but lacking the intentional community. Since I hoped to be travelling while raising support, I did not immediately get involved in my new environment, because I did not know when I would be available. When I became a little settled and got a job, my new hours limited the Bible studies or community events I could attend.   
A few of the interns and I at ECHO
      As I was living and facing many uncertainties, learning a ton about my life, it was evident that I needed community for support and comradery. I used Skype as a tool to communicate with a few people, but I missed being with people physically, or having people always present. I learned just how important it is to find a community or stay in close contact with community as soon as possible to help with transition and processing.    
      When I head to the CAR I am going to be faced with this going to a new place, and not having community right away. I am going to have to stay in contact with the community I have, and work hard at finding community there. It will be a smaller and more intentional community there, so that will help, but it is something to pay attention too in the CAR, as well as where ever I end up next.