Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pigs, Bugs, and Needles.

        There are reasons I am not a fan of pigs running free in villages. Here in Gamboula and the surrounding villages, there are goats, chickens, ducks, sheep, and yes, pigs. The pigs, like everything else are free-ranging, and root around wherever they please. Pigs tend to like wet or cool places, which gardens have a lot of. As a result the pigs tend to be attracted to them, rooting around and eating people’s hard work. Although I have not had a lot of firsthand experience with pigs yet, I am sure I will in the next two years. I am already seeing the destruction they have caused in the nutrition garden’s vegetable beds.
       Along with the annihilation of crops, trees, and other plants, where there are pigs, there are lovely little parasites called jiggers. These little bugs burrow into human skin and lay a huge egg sack, making the spot itch. I have not had a jigger in years, but today discovered a lovely raised bump with a black dot that looked suspiciously like one. Most of the time they burrow into feet, but this one was in my forearm. Typically you go after them with a needle. Picking away the skin around them, you try not to destroy the egg sack they have laid. If the egg sack is punctured you could end up with many little jiggers in the same hole. It is actually quite fun popping the whole unit out if you do it right. Unfortunately it for me I am right handed, it was on my right arm, and in a hard to get at place. Aleta Danforth, who is a nurse, was kind enough to help extract this little piggy parasite from me.
      Seeing the number of pigs around, I am sure there will be more pig stories to come, and most likely I will have to dig out more jiggers at some point.